The Foundation’s mission is to maintain, conserve, protect and enhance the Forks of Coal State Natural Area by providing leadership in communication, funding, advocacy and conservation education for children and the community. This includes helping to raise the funds to build the new Claudia L. Workman Wildlife Education Center. The Center has been has been open since June 4, 2022 on weekdays and Saturdays.
CENTER HOURS: Tuesdays through Saturdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except closed on State holidays. New address: 301 Forks of Coal Way, Alum Creek, WV 25003
The Natural Area currently has nearly six miles of trails and a pollinator/wildlife viewing field planted with native wildflowers and grasses. Three new connecting trails – the Homestead Trail, Green Trail, Spring Peeper Trail – plus the Old Red Maple Trail and a trail to connect with a historic house coal mine portal, are open for hikers. Interpretive signage and outdoor exhibits to enhance the outdoor experience for the Area are also in place. Flora, fauna, geologic and Coal River history exhibits, stream restoration and much more are being developed. Educational events will be scheduled throughout the year.
Donate – Build a Legacy:
You can contribute now to the fundraising campaign for the Claudia L. Workman Wildlife Education Center at the Forks of Coal Natural Area. General donations are accepted or you can dedicate, memorialize, or personalize your gift through our “Buy a Brick” program. Click the brick to get started:
Or, join us by becoming a Member with your donation:
- Click Here to provide a general donation by credit/debit card or PayPal to the Forks of Coal Foundation.
- Or, via mail at: Forks of Coal Foundation, PO Box 5556 Charleston, WV 25361
Check out the video from our Virtual Youth Environmental Conference Here
Spring 2021 Newsletter Now Available!
Support us through Amazon Smile!
You can now support the Foundation through online shopping at Amazon.com. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon donates to the Foundation. Just go to smile.amazon.com.
What’s happening at the Foundation:
- Get the Most Recent Newsletter (Summer 2020 Edition): FORKS OF COAL SPRING NEWSLETTER 2021
- See Design Renderings for the Claudia L. Workman Wildlife Education Center at the Forks of Coal Natural Area. Click here: FoC DD2 Design 12-18-17 condensed to 15 pgs
- Read our feature story in Wonderful West Virginia Magazine: WWVA Oct 2017-Where The Rivers Meet
- Get the trail map: forks-of-coal-natural-area-trail-map